The versatility of silicone tubing makes it vital to many applications and industries. High temp silicone tubing resists extreme temperature variations unlike plastic or rubber tubing. Food grade silicone tubing is a reliable and FDA-compliant material that provides temperature resistance, stability, and nonstick properties, making it ideal for food and beverage production. Medical grade silicone tubing meets many requirements for cleanliness and nontoxicity necessary for use in the medical industry.
Silicone tubing and hose is made of a rubber-like thermoset material allowing flexibility, elasticity, and weather resistance. Its ability to withstand UV rays, radiation, and ozone makes it an excellent choice for electrical, outdoor, and sterilized uses.
Characteristics of Silicone Tubing
The following properties make silicone tubing capable of serving multiple industries:
- Temperature range. Silicone tubing can withstand temperatures from -130° F to 600° F.
- Range in hardness. The resistance to surface penetration, or hardness, of silicone tubing ranges from 20 Shore A to 90 Shore A.
- Color availability. There are several color options for silicone tubing or it can be color matched.
- Durability. Silicone tubing is extremely durable, resilient, and resistant to repeated compression cycles.
- Resistance to UV, autoclaving, and fungus. Silicone tubing can withstand ultraviolet radiation and impede pathogen growth, making it ideal for food processing, pharmaceutical, and medical industries.
- Ease of manufacturing. Silicone tubing can be manufactured in a variety of sizes and lengths.
- Breakdown. Silicone tubing should not be used to transport concentrated oils or fuels as these materials can break down the structure of the tubing.
Types of Silicone Tubing
Silicone tubing is available in different grades:
- Food grade/Commercial grade. This FDA compliant (per 21CFR177.2600) tubing is used in food processing, medical, and pharmaceutical industries where non-toxic materials are critical.
- High strength grade. This grade of tubing is used in applications requiring extreme mechanical properties.
- Platinum cured. This grade prevails in quality and strength and is predominantly used in non-invasive medical and pharmaceutical industries.
- Colored tubing. This type of silicone tubing comes in a variety of colors and is used in the electrical industry for sleeving for electrical cables among other applications.
Applications for Silicone Tubing
Silicone tubing can be used for the following applications:
- Coolant systems in automobiles
- Custom color tubing
- Durable tubing for aquarium air devices
- Food and beverage processing
- General purpose industrial applications
- Medical equipment and devices
- Milking machines in the dairy industry
- Peristaltic pump tubing
- Pharmaceutical manufacturing
- Siphon hoses for home brewers and microbreweries
Advantages for Medical Grade Silicone Tubing
The many advantages for medical grade silicone tubing are as follows:
- Hygienic and sterilization. Silicone tubing is easy to clean and resists bacterial growth.
- Biocompatibility. The material does not cause allergies or adverse reactions making it suitable for contact with living tissue. It does not contain natural rubber latex or animal derived products.
- Clarity. High visibility allows for monitoring fluids.
- Odorless, tasteless, and inert. These characteristics make silicone tubing an ideal choice for systems working with consumables.
- UV, ozone, and chemical resistant. The material is resistant against weather, cleansers, saltwater, and chemicals.
- Temperature resistant. Silicone tubing can maintain functionality in low or high temperatures.
- Strength. Extrusion and vulcanization processes make silicone tubing extremely durable and strong.
- Versatility. Silicone tubing can be made for virtually any application, even for use inside capillaries.
Types of Medical Grade Silicone Rubber Tubing
Medical grade silicone rubber tubing comes in the following varieties:
Why Choose Vanguard Products’ Silicone Tubing
Vanguard Products Corporation offers full-service manufacturing and engineering services. We provide a full spectrum of standard and customized high-precision gaskets, seals, and tubing that are manufactured in our ISO 9001:2015-certified factory in the USA. For more information on our capabilities or pricing, contact us today.
VANGUARD PRODUCTS RECOGNIZED BY GM-VENTEC FOR SUPPLY OF SILICONE TUBING TO CRITICAL CARE VENTILATORS FOR COVID-19
Vanguard High-Quality Silicone Rubber Tubing Also Available At: